Wednesday, November 16, 2011

DIY Disney Christmas Ornaments!

I am so excited for the Holidays this year. Hailee is getting to a super fun age with these kind of things. She even says "Santa" when she sees something looking like him haha.

So here is the craft. I needed to find some Cinderella ornaments for a tree our family is doing in Honor of my little sister in law Whitney who passed away a few months ago. It's called "Festival of the Trees" and they auction off these trees people donate and the proceeds go to Primary Children's Medical Center. The theme we picked for her tree is "Cinderella" She loved princesses. I I had been searching for these ornaments and....holy expensive!! But my husband found this box of figures for $12.50 - Not bad huh?


(If they look funny in there...its because I had already opened it and then tried to put them back)

So really you can do this with any character or whatever you want.
Here we go
What you will need is:

Figurines

Plastic Ornament balls 
(found mine at craft store)

Filling
(this can be anything - cut up tulle, feathers, gems, shredded cello - anything!)

Modge Podge

Hot Glue Gun

Ribbon

First Step

Hot glue your figure into one half of ornament.


















Next
Add you filling of choice.

I took modge podge and painted it on the bottom around the figure and then placed my filling....to give it something to hold onto.


Then add some filling the same way to the second half of ornament and put some hot glue on the seam and put together!

Now to hide that ugly seam.

Get out your ribbon!


I placed some hot glue dots around the seam and then placed the ribbon around it. Sometimes I left extra to tie a pretty bow on top of it like this one below.


And other times I wanted something else with the ribbon like this.


Whatever you like.

Now to add your ribbon to hang on the tree with.

Thread your ribbon through that little hole on the top of the ornament, tie a bow at the top like this.


You can really be creative with these. Just go at it!

On the step mother I used black feathers....


on the inside and outside.


This one I used cut up tulle love the bubble gum pink and blue colors together!


This one was the shredded cello, you can get this pretty much anywhere, found mine at my craft store.


Love this one, I used a fluffy boa for her. Blue on the inside and white on the outside.
 Simple and sweet.


Again cut up tulle for this one above.



This one is my favorite. Its the smallest one I made. No filling on this one. Isn't it adorable?!
LOVE IT.


And here they all are! I love the way they turned out. My Mother in law loves them as well. I think they will look awesome on the tree. When I get a picture of the finished tree I will post it for you all to see. 

Have fun! And send me pictures if you make some!!


MERRY CHRISTMAS!

26 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having a Disney Christmas tree again this year! I am always looking for new ornaments but they can be expensive! These are great! I can't wait to make these with my daughters! Such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have a blast especially doing them with your girls. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Okay, those are PRECIOUS! I found you on Pinterest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on Pinterest! Can't wait to make these! Just bummed I didn't find this when the Disney sets were only $10 for black friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this just by searching on google! My best friend loves Disney villains and I think this would be a wonderful almost-gift (like a Christmas extra) for her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got the set for 9.99 on clearance at Disneystore.com. Making for my daughter's birthday party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Sets Are $8 At The Disney Store Right Now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Disney store has the buy 2 get the. $10 each instead of $12.50 each. Just got lots. My tree will be Disney princess. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooooo cute!!!! I've been wanting to a disney theme christmas.......first I just wanted to do mickey and minnie but this is waaaaay cooler!!!! My bf and I have said we will buy disney ornaments from disneyland.....slowly.
    ....they are too expensive!!! And besides we have disney passes :) :) I have a disney warehouse store maybe like 30 min away from my house......I will try there for the toys too!!!! Ps where can I find the plastic ornaments besides the craft stores??? And how much were they??? Thanks soooo much love this idea!!!!

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daisy! Yay! I love that you want to do a Disney Theme Christmas! So fun! You could try online I know amazon sells the craft ornaments for $12 for a pack of 12 so I would look around for that. Hope that helps!! Happy Crafting!

      Delete
  10. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/disney-character-ornaments/

    If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I was wondering. What size are the ornament balls? I found so many sizes and don't know which to get. This is such an awesome idea. My little girl has TONS of Disney toys she no longer uses and this would be so much fun to do. Everyday we can add a new ornament to the tree. Thanks for a new tradition idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would measure the figurines you are wanting to put in the ornaments and then go from there. I know there are so many sizes! So glad you have a new tradition, Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  12. I LOVE these! Definitely pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. did you cut the ornaments in half or did you find them that way the only ones my hobby lobby carries do not come in half

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found this post and am so happy I did, there are a ton of these little figures that end up all over the place, I have been rounding them up and now have the PERFECT project for them. I love what you did, the details are insane adorable. My kids are going to go nuts for them. I am SO INSPIRED!! would it be bad if I went home from work sick because I just can't wait to craft up an idea I learned?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are beautiful, and very creative--you should be proud of them. And what a nice and fun way to remember your sister. I saw similar ones on the internet/pinterest? a couple of years ago--and used them for inspiration. I make ornaments for my grandkids each year; I try to select something that signifies a special event that occurred during the year, or something they are "into". I have found new and used figurines on ebay, etc. and even at the Dollar Tree or Walmart (I do try to limit the cost of these). Most of the figures fit in the 3" ornaments, but I have used 4" ones as well as a couple of 2- 2 1/2" ones. Which ever fits the figurine the best. Most of the plastic ornaments I use I get at Hobby Lobby (if you can't find them in the store, they sell them online year round). They come in 2 pieces so you can fill them with whatever. This year I've done Spiderman, and Octonauts; working on Darth Vader next; also need to do a "Sweet Sixteen" one for a girl that isn't into bling (plan on using camo for the filler, to "tone-down" the sparkly "16" insert. I've done Cinderella, Minnie Mouse, Fishing theme, Dora, etc. Just use your imagination. It's lots of fun. And the kids love them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love villians! Did you glue feathers on the outside for that one?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful idea and thanks for sharing and inspiring us. they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Wonderful post and great advice.This post is very hefpful for us to know about Disney ornaments. Thanks for sharing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I Love these!!! I have made literally about 75 or more of these for my daughters Disney tree, She loves It!!!! Thank you for the great idea! You're awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing this! What a great idea! And God bless your family. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to lose a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved these from the minute I saw them! I have literally made over 100 different ornaments like these with the Disney figurines for my Disney tree. I made them for my daughter and grandsons. A beautiful way to show your love for someone! Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete